1. Flying is worth $1,000.
Sunday @ noon (Pittsburgh)
Sunday at 3:30 p.m. (Orlando)
2. Two kids requires two window seats. I never want to “bother” anyone to ask for special seating, but my kids bothered me so much on the way there by whining and fighting over the only window seat that I asked for—and received—two window seats for the ride home. Kelly had to sit next to a stranger, but I could give a shit because I didn’t have to listen to any whining or fighting. Best flight ever.
3. We should’ve rented a car. We spent at least $200 on transportation (cab rides, trolley rides) getting from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to various places we were going. The hotel we stayed at offered a free shuttle to the SeaWorld parks. Beyond that, we were on our own and the cost of a cab ride stopped us from going to a few places.
4. I’m cheap. Seriously cheap. Like sneaking-free-breakfast-food-back-to-the-room and making-the-kids-walk-a-mile-instead-of-paying-$2.50-to-ride-the-trolley cheap. I’m not proud of it, but there it is. And I cannot help myself. Blame my father.
5. Free dining rocks. SeaWorld parks sealed the deal for me by offering “free all-day dining” when I booked this vacation. Later, I found out that it was only for three days – one day at each of the parks I bought tickets for (SeaWorld, Aquatica & Busch Gardens)—but it did save us from having to buy meals on those three days. That said…
6. Just because it’s all-you-can-eat, doesn’t mean you have to. I totally indulged on “free dining days” and, it left me feeling like a fat seal which I guess was appropriate considering we were at SeaWorld and all.
7. GPSs have made us all map illiterate. Dan and I were forever standing in the middle of a walkway, looking at the park map, bewildered and confused about which way we needed to go. We weren’t the only ones.
8. We are definitely a water park family. Give us sunshine, a dozen water slides, inner tubes and a wave pool and the Cass’ will be happy all day long.
9. I don’t like roller coasters. I knew this, of course, but a few obligatory rides on the milder coasters reminded me that I hate everything about coasters —waiting in line, that awful uphill clicking noise, being jerked around and the annoying screaming-like-a-little-girl riders.
10. I can
survive enjoy a 7-day family vacation stone cold sober. ‘nuff said.
11. My waterproof Fuji digital camera is the best $120 I ever spent. It may not take the gorgeous and crisp photos that an SLR camera does, but I can take this thing in the pool, carry it down a water slide, drop it in a puddle, use it in the rain, or sit in the “splash zone” without a worry.
12. Stingrays are super cute underneath: