A random collection of articles, blog posts, books, and other things I think are worth sharing.
Harper’s Bazaar: Why A Pro-Life World Has A Lot of Dead Women In It
“Stop calling anti-abortion activists ‘pro-life.’ They’re not.”
Scientific American: More Recycling Won’t Solve Plastic Pollution
“Recycling plastic is to saving the Earth what hammering a nail is to halting a falling skyscraper. You struggle to find a place to do it and feel pleased when you succeed. But your effort is wholly inadequate and distracts from the real problem of why the building is collapsing in the first place. The real problem is that single-use plastic—the very idea of producing plastic items like grocery bags, which we use for an average of 12 minutes but can persist in the environment for half a millennium—is an incredibly reckless abuse of technology. Encouraging individuals to recycle more will never solve the problem of a massive production of single-use plastic that should have been avoided in the first place.”
New York Times: What it Means to be Loved by a Dog (Get your tissues! )
Shameless promotion alert….
Erie-Times News/Her Times: Read These Books With Your Daughter This Summer
BTW…I received a great response to this story from Mary Drapcho, District Librarian for the Erie’s Public Schools, who suggested these titles, too:
- We Were Liars — E. Lockhart — High School Be ready to cry and then re-read the book.
- When You Reach Me — Rebecca Stead — Grade 4 – 8 This book is so amazing you’ll want to read its companion!
- Eleanor and Park — Rainbow Rowell — High School I laughed and I cried! So much emotion in this book!
- I’ll Give You the Sun — Jandy Nelson — High School
- Winger — Andrew Smith — High School
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao — Junot Diaz — High School
- Between Shades of Gray — Ruta Sepetys — High School. Lithuania during WWII.