Things I’m loving this week
1. reCAPTCHA. I learned this week that reCAPTCHA that highly annoying “prove your a human” feature that forced you to type in a combination of letters/numbers to comment or buy tickets on Ticketmaster has been retooled to harness the collective power of users to help digitize books. Knowing this, I’m happy to type those words in!
2. Beast on the Bay. Wind, cold and rain be damned. We had a fabulous time at the Barber National Institutes annual adventure/obstacle run – Beast on the Bay – on Saturday. The rain provided lots and lots of puddles to stomp and splash though…and the lake was warmer than the air, so we totally went swimming. We had a blast – here’s proof. Also I love my Superfriends/Krazies. I hope you have friends like this who will not only do…but encourage you to crazy stuff like this. If you don’t, you can join us.
3. Disc Golf. Some students at the college championed the installation of a 9-hole disc golf course on campus. I interviewed them this week and we played a few holes. It’s really quite fun. I went back to the office and put a set of discs on my Amazon wish list.
Things I’m not loving this week
1. A headache that won’t quit. I can do 10 mile obstacle run on sand and then get up at 4:30 a.m. to do a 10-hour volunteer shift at the Erie Marathon and I don’t get a headache. But, a couple hours at work ….
2. A no-longer-waterproof camera. The Beast killed my backup water camera. I found water rattling inside of it by the end of the race (as evidenced by this cloudy photo). It’s my old water camera. I have a newer one. The good news, now I have a reason to buy the even better one that I’ve had my eye on.
3. Rude runners. Every time I watch and/or volunteer at a marathon, I’m appalled by the behavior of some runners toward the race organizers/volunteers. Were not for them…you would not have a race to run. Also…lots of people run marathons. You’re really not that special, no matter how fast you run. You’re no Meb.