Things I’m loving this week
1. Bird watching. I don’t realize how much I miss all the birds until they return in the spring. I love their energy, presence, and happy songs (though not so much at 5 a.m. on weekends, but…). My always-entertaining Orioles are back…and Kelly said she saw a hummingbird yesterday.
2. Lilacs! Lilacs are my favorite flowers in the world. I snuck out and cut some off the bushes outside my building at lunchtime and now my office smells like spring.
3. Girls race weekends. Nine friends and I had a blast in the ‘burgh recently when we ran the Pittsburgh Marathon as a relay team. Happiness is laughing so long and hard that your abs hurt. I am so grateful for all the fun and awesome friends I’ve made through running. I wrote about our weekend here and here.
4. End to sports shuttling every day. I love that Kelly played volleyball and I’m sad the season is over, but I’m not sad that I no longer have to run her to & from school for two hours every weeknight. I almost don’t know what to do with my free time, but then I remember….
Things I’m not loving this week
1. Spring garden cleanup. Yep…it’s mid-May and I’ve only just begun cleaning all the leaves out of my flower beds and getting them ready for summer. I hate spring cleanup because the volume of work to be done is just overwhelming. I’ve been doing it one bed at a time, which is easier to handle, but by the time I get the last bed done, I’ll have to go back and weed the first bed again before we lay down mulch later.
And, I don’t even want to think about the veggie gardens right now. *sigh*
2. End of boot season. While I’m thrilled to be entering the no-sock season, I already miss all my calf-height boots. I put them back in their boxes on the top shelf of my closet this weekend to avoid the temptation to wear them on cold days.
3. Monsoon-ish rain. What is the deal with all the precipitation lately? I mean…it’s great because it’s free fresh water to fill up the lake, but…enough.