21 Reasons the Ice Bucket Challenge Needs to end right now. (Totally worth the click, especially numbers 5, 6 & 18)
1. Because your safety is important:
Things I’m loving this week
1. Sunflowers. They make me happy. That is all.
2. South River Vineyard. I recently did a 5K “adventure run” with some friends at this winery in Geneva, Ohio, which is housed in an old church (complete with stained glass windows & pews turned into bench seating. There are also two large covered decks with plenty of outdoor seating and gorgeous views. The wines are delish and clearly take their name from the unique setting of the winery — Creation, Temptation, Trinity, Exodus, Karma.
Their website says:
“We often refer to ourselves as the “quiet winery.” While other wineries have weekly entertainment, we offer the relaxed approach to enjoying wine. With its serene setting and rich ambiance, South River Vineyard is the perfect place to converse and spend quality time with a close friend, family member, or date.”
True that. And, BTW, I recommend Creation:
3. Students back on campus. I work at a college and was so happy to see the students (life) return to campus that I blogged about it.
Things I’m not loving this week
1. Pretty much everything else. It’s been like that for me lately.
A random collections of blog posts, articles and other things I think are worth sharing.
Salon: The 50 dorkiest songs you secretly love (I really do, too. And, I totally had “Parents Just Don’t Understand” memorized…still do, apparently.)
Atlantic: Four Words To Seem More Polite (Interesting)
Salon: Study: Are Some People Born Conservative? (This doesn’t surprise me at all. and it reminds me of this quote:
Time Magazine: The Science Behind the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
Scary Mommy: Back to School: The 70s vs. the Today (This is just freakin’ hilarious…and so true. BTW — you know I totally fall short in the 2014 mommy skills. Let’s bring the 70s and 80s parenting back…when parents weren’t afraid their kids wouldn’t like them..cause you know they didn’t give a shit what you thought about anything…ever. So you’d just shut up, pop another bag of microwave popcorn, pour a tall glass of sugared KoolAid and go watch another Gilligan’s Island rerun.)
The girls & I stopped at the pool store recently to pick up a jug of chlorine. As Kelly and I lifted the heavy container into the back of my car, I said, “We have to pack stuff around it cause those jugs always freakin’ fall over.”
Me: I didn’t swear. I said frickin’ — that’s not swearing. And, seriously, what is your big problem with swearing? What makes a word “bad”. Every word is just a word, like tree or blue or chlorine. We attach meaning, but ultimately…it’s just a word — a combination of vowels and consonants. What’s so offensive about one word over the other — why is butt OK, but a#$ is not?
(See, how’s that for stellar parenting? Lecturing the kids on why it’s OK to cuss.)
Lauren: I just don’t want a mom who swears.
Me: Well, you got one. Trust me, it could be worse.
Lauren: Where are we going next?
Me: The liquor store
Lauren: See? That’s what I’m saying. I don’t want a mom who drinks and swears.
Me: Lauren, you’re the reason I drink and swear!
This gallery contains 71 photos.
These are hilarious — especially the last one (I have a place I call “pre-garbage” — if they don’t notice it’s gone for like a week, it’s trashed).
Three things I’m loving this week
1. Skinnytaste.com. This is my new favorite website for great recipes. Many are paleo-friendly and though I’ve fallen (far…so very, very far) off the paleo wagon, I’m hoping to get back on it again soon. I bought a veggie spiral thing just so I can make zucchini noodles (zoodles) for the recipe above. Can’t wait to try it.
2. Archery. Katniss was on to something. I got to try my hand at archery at Girl Scout camp this weekend, and it was kinda awesome. There’s something very satisfying about jamming arrows into pillow targets and the “THWACK” sound it makes. But, then…I’ve been in a mood lately….
3. Sara’s peanut butter & vanilla yogurt cone twist. I’m not a big ice cream lover. I could live without it, but it’s nice every once in awhile. It’s practically a rule that if you’re at the peninsula, you have to stop & get ice cream at Sara’s (or, at least my kids think it’s a rule). When I do indulge in the occasional cone, I opt for a peanut butter & vanilla yogurt twist. Kelly’s a chocolate girl and Lauren is all about sprinkles.
Three things I’m not loving this week
1. “Reasons God Made Girls.” This is the most annoying/offensive country song ever. I heard this & thought WTF? Did she just say that? Seriously? God made us to wear pretty skirts and flirt? F@#$ you. Why not just say he made us to keep house, do laundry and make babies. How insulting in 2014.
Jezebel was all over it, too (I knew they would be. Love my feminist sisters over at Jezebel. Wonder how I can get a job writing for Jezebel? Then I’d have to come up with a pen name or endure lots of trolls and right-wingnuts though, I’m sure.)
2. Multitasking. I used to pride myself on being a champion multitasker. Now I’m starting to think it’s killing me. Plus, when you get a lot of sh$# done, you get more sh#$ to do.
3. Summer homework. Guess whose kids waited until the week before school starts to do the ridiculous heap of summer homework their teachers sent home? Guess who is not giving a sh&%? Guess who will be probably be picking her kids up from detention? Compared to badgering them for a week to get it done, a ride out the school a time or two is a small price to pay, I figure.
See, I told you I’ve been in a mood…